Elena

Elena

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Light at the end of the tunnel

I am beginning to see a light at the end of the long, lifeless tunnel called medicaid. Elena hasn't had any insurance since she turned one. We have been fighting for it but are fighting a losing battle. The Medicaid office not only doesn't know what they are talking about half the time but they also don't seem to care.

My most recent talk with medicaid was anything but helpful. And I'm sad to say that getting Elena on Social Security Income has actually causes more problems than it's solved. Because the government now classifies Elena as disabled the medicaid office automatically put her on Disability medicaid which has an income limit of $1500 a month BEFORE taxes! What three person family can live off of $1500 a month BEFORE taxes?!?! It's outright insane! I asked them if we could we put on a different medicaid program that has a higher income limit and they said if they did that they would have to count Elena's SSI as income and we would be put over the limit. Keep in mind that when we got Elena on SSI they promised us that she would automatically qualify for medicaid, something which the medicaid office denies is true! So let me ask this, WHO THE HECK KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT!?!!?! And when medicaid finally said we could get insurance they said we'd have to pay $180 a month for it!!! If I had that much money I wouldn't need to be on medicaid!!

*deep breathe* Sorry for the rant...back to the good news. Anyway, so yesterday an angel from heaven called me, AKA-Ben Norton, the best childrens physical therapist ever! Ben, being the wonderful man that he is, called just to see how Elena was doing. Keep in mind this was Ben himself, not an office assistant. (We had to stop going to him when Elena turned one because of not having insurance.) I told him she wasn't make much progress and that I'd LOVE for her to go back to him but we are still fighting insurance and don't think we'll get it. He immediately said call these people and these people and these people. I was like THANK GOODNESS! He told me a two places to contact about insurance and another place that gives free legal services to people with disabilities in case we believe we aren't getting treated right. Dang straight I'm gonna call all those!

The insurance battle ranges on! Cross your fingers for us. I only have one thing left to say, THANK YOU GOD FOR DOCTOR BEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment